Thursday, February 25, 2010

Breakfast On The Cheap


I've discovered a use for all the FREE bread I acquire. Last week HEB had FREE bread when you bought a gallon of milk. With 2 small children we go through a lot of milk. May as well get the FREE bread. Luca is obsessed with anything you serve with syrup. Waffles, pancakes, french toast are all "tan takes" in his book. He starts screaming "tan takes" the minute he wakes up every morning (not a joke.. he boy loves syrup). I've discovered I can make a massive supply of French Toast using the FREE bread, milk, eggs, and some cinnamon. I keep a few slices in the fridge and freeze the rest. I pop them in the toaster over in the morning and they are quick, hot, low mess, low effort breakfast for the kids. I estimate 24 slices of French Toast costs under $2!!!
Okay, I know these are super basic directions... However, I'll post for French Toast novices like I was.
1 cup milk
8 eggs
sliced bread
tsp cinnamon
In shallow bowl mix all ingredients except bread. Dunk bread into mixture and flip to coat both sides. Place on hot greased griddle or skillet and cook until brown and firm on both sides. Serve immediately. Freezes great! (I just make as many slices as I can using the available mixture. When it runs out I put the bread in the fridge for next time)

No comments:

Post a Comment