Monday, February 8, 2010

Dave Cover Your Eyes! Saving WITH credit cards.

Those of you that know my know that I drink the Dave Ramsey cool aid... Well, some of it. We live debt free and have a 15 year mortgage, but we do use Credit Cards. We pay them off every month, but we use them. I have 3 and each of them (when used correctly) save us money.

* Continental Chase Visa* This card has a fee. We pay $45 a year. However, we fly a lot. Our families live out of state. We take at least 4 trips as a family and Don flys at least 3-4 additional times. The benefit of this card is NOT the airline miles. I got so sick of getting all these miles and we can never use them when we need to. I was super angry and thought about cancelling until the dreaded baggage fee came up. Well, buy your ticket with this card and EACH ticket gets 1 FREE bag each way. We buy 3 tickets so we are able to check $120 worth of bags for FREE each flight. This card more than pays for itself.

*American Express Blue* This card has no fees. However, you get points for every dollar you spend. We use this card for all major purchases in order to rack up points. Recently, we cashed in our points for Home Depot, Old Navy, and Dining gift cards. Gift cards run about 2,500 points for a $25 gift card. We use the dining gift card to make our date nights cheaper. We love this card.

*Banana Republic Luxe* This is another no fee card. My pre-mom self used to shop at Banana Republic a lot and I got this card before they offered free alternations (something my short legs need). You also get a $10 gift card for every $200 you spend. However, the feature I use most is FREE shipping on ANY purchase from Banana, Old Navy and Gap. I can order 1 pair of socks and get them shipped to me for FREE. I send gifts with this card to my nieces and nephew. I pay $3 for gift wrap and it ships for FREE. There is no way I could buy a gift, wrap it, and ship for $3. I also get all kinds of coupons emailed to me. This card get a work out.

Okay, Dave would be mad. However, I love the perks of these cards. They do save us money.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the AMEX Blue is a GREAT card. I use it for everything and then pay it off, I really rack up the points that way!

    ReplyDelete